Tuesday, March 26, 2013

All contacts are missing on HTC EVO 4G phone

My wife has an HTC EVO 4G phone that all of a sudden appears to have lost all the contacts.  Since this phone is running Android, I was pretty sure my wifes' contacts were safely stored in the Google cloud somewhere (I set up her phone and created her Google account and set it as the default for the phone).

I was leaving on a business trip later in the morning so I did some Googling and found a post where someone said to clear the Contacts application cache and restart the phone.  I noticed right away when I looked at ALL applications from the system settings why her contacts were missing.  There was a button at the top right that said Enable.  After talking to my wife, I discovered that her son had tried to move apps to her SD card to free up space (the HTC EVO 4G has little internal storage).  The Android Contacts app had the Move to SD card  button disabled and I am almost certain that my step-son accidentally disabled the contacts when he meant to move the app to the SD card.

The moral of the story: if there are no contacts, make sure the Android/Google contacts app is enabled.

No comments: