Saturday, January 24, 2015

Solved: Mono output to Bluetooth speaker on Fedora 21

I purchased a Jam Rewind bluetooth speaker over a month ago (November 2014?).  It works great with my Samsung Galaxy S4.  The speaker works great whenever I attach it to my 2 Android tablets.  I have not used it on either of my 2 laptops that have Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 nor my Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx K3011 tablet but I am sure it will sound great there also.

My two Acer laptops that run Windows (7 & 8.1) have Fedora 21 installed on each of them.  When I pair the Jam Rewind speaker to them, the resulting output is terrible.  I did some checking with the PulseAudio Volume Control and I found out that the Jam Rewind was using mono profile.


I did some Googling and determined that I needed an A2DP profile for the device.  I did more Googling and came  across an Ask Ubuntu post on StackExchange had a configuration option on PulseAudio Volume control.  I checked and on my Fedora 21 PulseAudio Volume Control there was a tab for selecting different profiles for the Jam Rewind:


Selecting the High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink) the sound out of the Jam Rewind is exceptional.   I was almost ready to give up on this one.  Good thing I don't give up too easy.


No comments: