Monday, June 30, 2014

Fedora 20 update broke BCM43227 wireless on Acer laptop

I have an Acer laptop with an AMD Quad-Core processor and a Broadcom Corporation BCM43227 802.11b/g/n wireless adapter.  I had not performed updates for a while so tonight, I ran a manual update and a new kernel and lots of other packages got installed (over 100 for sure).  A reboot of my laptop and subsequent login found me with no wireless.

To make a long story short, I did some Googling on my cell phone and noticed a number of posts about having to install package akmod-wl.  The posts indicated that if rpmfusion was installed, this package should fix it.  Installing and a reboot was all that I needed to get wireless back and running.

This is one of those cases where using additional repositories might get you into trouble.   Hope this helps someone else and hope I don't need to use it again.

No comments: