Thursday, April 25, 2013

Workspace Switcher gone after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.04

I spent most of this evening (at least my Acer Aspire One did) upgrading my laptop from Ubuntu 12.10 to Ubuntu 13.04.  I normally try to avoid doing an upgrade from one Linux version to another (this aversion goes back to my days running OS/2 Warp) but I decided I would give it a try since I did a complete re-install after a failed attempt at getting IBM Notes 9 installed.

After about 2 hours of downloading and installing updated packages (over 1300 of them), I was able to reboot and have Ubuntu 13.04 running.  The system appears to be noticeably faster and the Unity desktop a bit cleaner and crisper.  The only thing I noticed right away was the Workspace Switcher was gone from the left launcher.  The rest are some notes on how I got it back.


1. Installed the unity-tweak-tool package which has the setting I need to restore the switcher.

sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool

2. Started the unity-tweak-tool by using the dasher search button.


3. From the Overview panel, I clicked on the Workspace Settings




4.  Click on the Workspace Settings tab if not already there and be sure to set the Workspace switcher to ON.




5. Now check to see if the Workspace Switcher is in the launcher

























12 comments:

Plastic Framed Glasses said...

Exactly what I needed. Thank you! Appreciate it!

Gerry said...

Thank you. Dunno why that got disabled. Question, did the upgrade freeze for you midway through?

13.04 is also much faster for me. Loving it.

I also use Terminator. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the idea!

But no need to do even this. We can change it in the Settings> Appearance > Behaviour > Turn Workspace on.

Your interface looks great, by the way! :)

Unknown said...

You dont need to install anything extra to get your workspace switcher back. Its in the appearance settings tab. You will be able to active/deactivate from there

74ryanwolf said...

Orr.. just go into the System Settings -> Appearance -> and then turn it on from there. No need to install anything extra =)

Unknown said...

thank you, I did the same thing with my acer aspire.

Mario Granada said...

Thank you, I started to miss it when I also upgraded to 13.04, it is very helpful....

Unknown said...

After upgrading to 13.04, I was terribly pissed off when I saw that the Workspace Switcher was gone (more precisely, set to only one Workspace).

I was happy again after finding out,as another one said above, that in the System Setings->Appearence->Behavior, one can activate the Workspace Switcher back on.

Though, I have to thank you for telling me about the Unity Tweak Tool. I can now have more that four workspaces now and it also has more cool stuff.

Charlie said...

Are you ware of the http://usablesoftware.wordpress.com/ site? This guys has some real good info on how to get Notes 9 installed and previous versions.

Anna Baritti said...

Absolutely great! Thanks! I was struggling a lot, The question is; why this change and removing the old feature?

Anna Baritti said...

Great! I was struggling a lot. The question is: why we don't have this feature any more?

Radu said...

short 2 the point, thx! :)